[game_edu] Implications of students going into a male-dominatedindustry?

Adam Parker aparker at qantmcollege.edu.au
Tue Sep 20 03:01:01 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I agree that this is a major problem, and one that needs to be
addressed. I noted Clint Hocking's recent characterization of this
issue as being one of "longboat culture", of twenty-something males
loosened by beer. There's a grain of truth in there - but if only it
were as simple as that.

One of the ways we deal with this issue is simply to enforce workplace
legislation within studio practice. Being a professionally oriented
degree program, we treat the studio space as a workspace, and thus
apply the relevant anti-discrimination statutes and regulations in the
shop floor. We have a zero-tolerance approach to all aspects of
discriminatory practice as a result.

Personally, I've also developed a focus on pushing development of
games along craft and construction lines, which I find tend to shift
designerly focus away from conflict and towards collaboration.

We also run our game design in a creative media context, which means
we have other streams (such graphic design) being taught alongside
game design (including shared core units) with more female-oriented
gender balances.

Nonetheless, inappropriate behavior persists... Offering constructive
opportunities and legislating against offensive behavior cannot be the
whole answer. I'm keen to hear more suggestions from the group.

For me, the real question is: where can we draw a line, saying "we've
done our best" with the problem? Where does it cease being our issue
and start becoming one where we rely on those outside our practice?
And therefore what actual impact can we expect to have? This is not to
abdicate responsibility, but to know our pragmatic limits and thus
work within them effectively.

Cheers,
Adam

Adam Parker