[game_edu] Implications of students going into a male-dominated industry?

William Huber whuber at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 21 15:13:44 EDT 2011

Most of this thread is taking a rather predictable course in response to
your post (if there's a record, and if I need to go on it, I'll just agree
with taking dramatic and effective measures to increase the representation
of the under-represented in all aspects of the game industry, and to create
a professional environment that is respectful of all its stakeholders) but I
do have two questions about one of the categories you mention.

Are gay men under-represented in the game industry? I actually think, on
this regard, the industry is doing alright. That many places within gamer
culture still feel like hostile places for LGBT gamers notwithstanding...

And, isn't the game industry, perhaps, something of a leader in providing a
good working environment for transgender men and women (especially the
latter?) It is my impression that some of the most noted game designers of
the past few decades have been transgender.

William Huber