[game_edu] GDC Edu Summit call for submissions

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 14:22:55 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

For anyone who didn't get the announcement yet, the call for submissions for the Edu Summit at GDC 2012 is now open (deadline is October 31). Tracy Fullerton, Michael Mateas and I will be chairing the summit again, same as last year.

As with last year, we want this to be an "expert level" conference. Most of us are already working in established programs and don't need to see yet another "how to start a game degree" lecture; we're looking for ways to improve our existing programs from "pretty good" to "outstanding." Even those of us who are just starting out can still benefit from seeing the challenges we're likely to face in the next few years when our programs do take off.

With that in mind, that's the kind of thing we're looking for. If you have some experience you'd like to share that would be of benefit to other established programs and experienced educators, we would love to see you submit a talk proposal. You can get to it from here:

http://gdconf.com/conference/c4p/summits.html

Also, a small hint on what we are NOT looking for:

* Talks about how to use games to teach some non-game-related subject. Those talks would be submitted to the Games for Change Summit (formerly Serious Games Summit).

* Sales pitches for why your school or program is so great. That's what sponsored sessions and expo booths are for.

* Submissions that focus on how you as the speaker will benefit from speaking. Free passes and publicity are great perks, but the real value is in the entire audience benefiting from your talk. Approach the submission by thinking first and foremost of audience takeaways.

That said, proposing a talk is free, so if you're in doubt we would rather see you pitch your idea than not - it might be a better idea than you thought it was :-)

Thanks,
- Ian