[game_edu] Evaluating individual students on semester> long project classes

McGill, Monica mmcgill at bumail.bradley.edu
Sun Jan 8 10:39:39 EST 2012

Ian,

I think removing students from the class or reassigning them to another
project can have serious implications. I have not yet followed up on that at
my university to see how to avoid a very messy situation with a student if I
were to kick them out of class. (There is probably a way, possibly like
having a certain grade at midterm, but I still need to find out.)

What I have done instead, which has worked in the past a couple of times in
severe cases, is to start to meet with the student early at the first sign
of trouble. Since I provide a lot of formative feedback via grades after
each sprint, students have a good feel for where they stand early in the
semester. By doing some simple math, I can start telling them early that
they need to get a xx% on all future projects here on out to pass the class.
At some point, I will know when they can no longer pass the class. In two
cases, they have dropped the course after I explained that they were no
longer able to pass. In this manner, they have sufficient warning and plenty
of time to change their behavior, and I have a documented record of their
grades. (And it ultimately is "their choice" to drop the class they paid $2K
to take.)

Their teams were relieved when they dropped. Both teams had to rescope a
bit, unfortunately, but that's what they would experience "out there."

I'm definitely curious what others do in these situations.

Monica