[game_edu] Games in the Library

Jose P. Zagal jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
Fri Mar 9 10:05:00 EST 2012

Hi,

The list available is here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3806-RYSJ-1102

Our lab manager David Henry had this to say about the program:

The Good:
* 100+ games, including lots of indie games
* accessible for PC and Mac
* new games automatically update to the cafe inventory without end-user
installation
* great MMORPG support through Valve's servers (e.g. Team Fortress 2)
* very low maintenance -- Valve constantly fixes bugs and applies updates
* good quality control -- only good, solid games are made available on
Steam; bad games are weeded out

The Bad:
* you buy a license to access the games, but do not actually own the games
* games cannot be played in offline mode -- when the Steam server goes
down, the games are unavailable

Obviously, YMMV w/r to which games you think are good/bad, but it's
definitely a lot more than only FPS games.

I have no idea what the pricing is just in case anyone was wondering. I
assume it's decent value for money.

Jose

On 3/8/2012 9:56 PM, Malcolm Ryan wrote:

> Can you tell us what the "wide range of 100+ popular titles"

> includes? If it is just endless repeats of every big FPS game, it is

> not very valuable to me.

> Malcolm

> On 09/03/2012, at 2:29 AM, Jose P. Zagal wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Have you looked at https://cafe.steampowered.com/

>> I'll ask the people who run our labs about any additional insights

>> they might have.

>> Jose

>> On 3/7/2012 9:53 PM, Malcolm Ryan wrote:

>>> Jose,

>>> The Cyber Cafe option sounds like a possibility. Can you provide

>>> any more information on it?

>>> Malcolm