[game_edu] Essential Games (was Re: Games in the Library)

Steve Graham skudge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:17:08 EDT 2012

Thanks for the feedback, Ian. All good advice and useful for setting up
such a library.

My interest is different, though. I'm trying to gather input on specific
games that people believe are "essential playing" for game
designers/developers. I realize that for different roles one might view
different games as essential -- that's fine, I'll take recommendations
for "essential" with or without qualification! I'll even take categories
of games rather than specific games (for instance, i can imagine someone
saying "poker" is essential, or maybe "an rpg" as opposed to say "texas
hold-em" or "Dungeons & Dragons".)

"Essential" is open to individual interpretation as well, but I'm not
thinking "first", "best", "most popular", or even "most influential".
Instead, I'm after what games people see as having the most value to
aspiring game designers/developers, perhaps because of the
accessibility, importance or clarity of some aspect of game
design/development which can be seen in the game.

Oh -- and I'm happy with any sort of reply -- a single game is fine (as
are multiple replies) -- anything you happen to think of, when and as
convenient. I don't need someone's list of THE games they consider
essential -- that could be a lot of work! Instead, just whatever games
come to mind.

Many thanks for any and all recommendations! And, again, feel free to
email me (skg at dsu.edu) if you'd like and I can aggregate responses to
the list.

cheers,
skg