[game_edu] Essential Games (was Re: Games in the Library)

Susan Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:07:47 EDT 2012

By the way, is anyone going to the opening next weekend? It proves to be a most impressive weekend of fun, as well as the actual show/exhibit which will be a seminal event for the industry. There are a lot of festivities planned for that weekend, I highly recommend that if you are in the area of Washington DC (or can get there) that you attend. Here's the trailer: http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/artists/

Friday, March 16, 2012

3–6 p.m. - Evolution of Video Games - Panel Discussions
Curator Chris Melissinos moderates two panel discussions exploring the history of video game design and predicting what is in store for the future.
3–4:15 p.m. Evolution of Video Games: Pioneers
RJ Mical, Mike Mika, Rand Miller, Don Daglow and Keith Robinson
4:30–6 p.m. Evolution of Video Games: The Future
Paul Barnett, Mark DeLoura, Ken Levine, and Kellee Santiago.
7 p.m. - Nolan Bushnell: Video Games in Retrospect (SOLD OUT)
8:30 p.m. - Film: TRON
Video game inventor Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) is transported into the digital world inside a computer, where he must battle the evil Master Control Program to escape.
This film, full of fantastic visual effects, will be screened in the beautiful, glass-covered Kogod Courtyard.
Saturday, March 17, 2012

11:30 a.m.–7 p.m. - GameFest! Day 2: Open play, craft activities, live action gaming with Spontaneous Art and dj MKO, and musical performances by 8 Bit Weapon and Triforce Quartet. See the PDF for the full schedule.
The Art of Video Games opening festivities feature activities for all ages. Try your hand at live-action games with costumed characters by Spontaneous Art and a soundtrack provided by dj MKO. There are hands-on craft activities for younger visitors, and a photo booth (costumes encouraged!). Play classic and modern video games and hear live musical performances by 8-Bit Weapon,ComputeHer, and The Triforce Quartet.
12 p.m. - A conversation with Hideo Kojima (SOLD OUT)
5 p.m. - It’s All in the Design with Robin Hunicke
Video game designer Robin Hunicke with thatgamecompany takes you inside the world of game design and discusses the company’s highly anticipated, Journey.
7 p.m. - Film: The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
This captivating documentary follows two rival gamers who battle for the Guinness World Record high score on the classic arcade game Donkey Kong. Join documentary stars Walter Day, Brian Kuh, Billy Mitchell, Steve Sanders and moderator Chris Melissinos for a discussion following the screening.
Sunday, March 18, 2012

11:30 a.m.–7 p.m. - GameFest! Day 3: Open play, craft activities, live action gaming with Spontaneous Art and dj MKO, and musical performances by ComputeHer, 8 Bit Weapon, and Triforce Quartet. See the PDF for the full schedule.
Hope to see you there,
Susan

--
Susan Gold
In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!