[game_edu] College Students (Art/Animation) Inquiries into Game Industry

Vincent Stefanelli vslo at verizon.net
Wed Mar 21 13:55:06 EDT 2012

Greetings,

I've been asked to speak with Art and Animation Students at a local
university.
The school's Art and Animation Program is quite good but it only has a
couple
very basic courses for game development.

The students are interested in knowing about the Game Industry and how they
might be better prepared to gain employment in the industry.

My experience with games has been providing music and sfx for games so
although
I'll be able to give them a good "outsider's" view of the industry, I could
use some
advice on a couple points:

* They've asked for resources to learn more about the (non-technical)
aspects of
industry e.g. where the jobs are and how to find them, lifestyles, courses
they
should pursue, etcŠ

** They also would like to know how their current studies and skills
(art/animation
both traditional & computer) will be able to translate to the game industry.

Any suggestions on what advice and resources to offer them?

Thank you,

Vinny Stefanelli
814.873.4500 (cell)
www.youtube.com/vincentstefanelli