[game_edu] College Students (Art/Animation) Inquiries into Game Industry

Adam Moore amoore at uat.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:39:27 EDT 2012

Vincent,

Game Career Guide is almost entirely focused on helping students prepare for a career in games.

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/

> They've asked for resources to learn more about the (non-technical) aspects of industry e.g. where the jobs are and how to find them, lifestyles, courses they should pursue, etc.

Most of the jobs are on the coast, with more on the west coast than the east coast. Point them to the game dev map - it will let them look up which companies are located where. http://www.gamedevmap.com/

As for finding jobs... apart from going to the company websites, the students should be buying Expo passes to GDC and trolling the career pavilion and networking at the parties and hotel lobbies. They'll also need to build a portfolio - preferably online.

> They also would like to know how their current studies and skills (art/animation both traditional & computer) will be able to translate to the game industry.

I recommend having them look at the job postings for the positions they want and treating these postings as to-do lists.

The best thing these students can do RIGHT NOW is to get on a team and try to make a game, even if only in their free time with a group of students. A student who has worked on 3 student projects has more experience than the student that is waiting to get a job to make games...even if all 3 projects ultimately fail. If they want to make games professionally, the sooner they start trying to make games, the more they'll have to talk about when they finally do get their first interview.

Adam Moore
The University of Advancing Technology
Content Developer
(650) 383-8660