[game_edu] Firing Team Mates

Corvus Elrod corvus.elrod at zakelro.com
Fri May 4 09:40:30 EDT 2012

I once helped structure a 3d portfolio class into professional teams where
the teams had grading budgets and low-performers could apply for low-grade
jobs. The highest-grade position was Producer and each producer did a
performance review mid-semester and end of semester.

The instructor took these reviews into account while assigning final
grades, but was free to increase budgets for high-performing teams.

This was a class that under the traditional structure never actually
finished a project. The semester they tried my approach, even the
less-motivated students more than met expectations. The awareness that a
fellow student who was *right there* seeing the work being done could
impact their individual grade, was a huge motivator.

I see no reason you couldn't grant the producer firing ability in this
scenario, but hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

--
Corvus

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Robert R. Kessler <kessler at cs.utah.edu>wrote:

> Dealing with slackers on team projects is always a problem. I've spoken

> with various communication people and team experts and one thing that they

> talk about is having each team construct a contract and everyone on the

> team signs off on. This makes it very clear of the expectations.

> One idea that they brought up was the idea that a team (through whatever

> mechanism) can fire a student that is slacking off. It is an interesting

> idea. You could imagine that it is then up to the student to get on a

> different team, sign their contract and then hopefully pick up the pieces.

> However, what if they can't get back on a team. What do you do with them?

> Anyone ever tried anything like this or have views on ways to make this

> work out? We just finished a semester of classes where students created

> machinima and had the worst case of slacking off in the six years that I

> have been teaching the class. So, I am thinking of doing something drastic

> next year.

> Thanks.

> B.

Another Missive from a Desk at Zakelro!