[game_edu] Multiple Faculty Positions at RPI

Lee Sheldon clsheldo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:56:14 EDT 2012

Hi Everybody,

I know I usually just lurk, but I'm sneaking into the light to announce
that Rensselaer Polytechnic Insitute is looking for three new faculty in
games or games-related fields. As Co-Director of the Games and Simulation
Arts and Sciences (GSAS) program, I'm listing the most obvious game-related
job first, then the announcement of the broader search.

GSAS is a cross-disciplinary program that includes the departments of
Communication and Media, Art, Cognitive Science and the School of Computer
Science.****

** **

The first listing below is the final step in creating the first true
comprehensive writing for games track (9 courses) on—as far as I can
tell—the planet. ****

** **

Two other positions are available as described in the more general second
listing. The umbrella title is Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments,
and incorporates my research project, the Emergent Reality Lab, currently
under construction. The ERL is a 40x50 feet mixed-reality space I’ll be
introducing at the Montreal International Game Summit in two weeks in a
talk fancifully called Holodeck: The First Generation. ****

** **

You’ll see that the second, more general listing is quite broad, but since
we need professionals to design the experiences we’ll create, I hope to
sneak at least a second game person in.

I’m promised that Professors of Practice--game professionals with
impressive credentials in commercial and/or applied games--will be
considered equally with tenure-track applicants. Which is good, since
tenure-track applicants with the skill set and experience we need are hard
to come by. One of the 3 positions will most probably be—if we can find
one—a Mandarin teacher/instructional designer/gamer. Teaching Mandarin
Chinese is the ERL’s first project.****

** **

Here are the listings:****

** **

*Faculty Position in Writing for Video Games*

*Assistant Professor*

** **

The Department of Communication and Media at Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute seeks applicants for a full-time tenure track or professor of
practice position in Video Game, Virtual World and Associated New Media
Writing with research interests in Immersive Intelligent Learning
Environments. The successful candidate would join the nationally-ranked
Games and Simulation Arts and Sciences (GSAS) faculty, a diverse
interdisciplinary, inter-departmental faculty dedicated to not only making
games better, but making better games. We teach the skills necessary to
create meaningful, ground-breaking games in all fields of endeavor from
commercial entertainment to applied games and simulations with serious
intent.****

** **

We are interested in candidates with experience writing for games
professionally, who also have an enthusiasm for advancing the craft and the
medium through research and experimentation, especially in areas pioneered
by GSAS faculty including designing classrooms as games and mixed-reality
environments featuring sustained narrative and contextual gameplay that
enhance learning.****

** **

A terminal degree (PhD, MFA, etc.) or foreign degree equivalent or
comparable industry experience is required at the time of appointment. A
candidate must show evidence of successful teaching, research and service
to the profession. Demonstrated success in the video game industry and the
ability to attract external funding are of significant importance.****

** **

Founded in 1824, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is the nation’s oldest
technological university. With approximately 5,000 undergraduate and 2,500
graduate students from across the country and around the world, the
university offers more than 145 programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, and
doctoral levels. Rensselaer is located in Troy, New York, the heart of the
“Tech Valley” region of the Hudson River Valley. The university’s Curtis R.
Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC) offers scholars
and students opportunities for creative interdisciplinary research in the
arts, performance technologies, science, and engineering.****

** **

Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until
the position is filled. To apply, please submit a letter of interest,
curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three (3)
professional references to:****

** **

Dean’s Office: School of Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences****

Search: Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments****

Attn: Kimberley Osburn****

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute****

110 8th Street****

Troy, NY 12180****

* *

We welcome candidates who will bring diverse intellectual, geographical,
gender and ethnic perspectives to Rensselaer’s work and campus communities.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer.****

** **

And the second, broader listing which includes the above:****

**

*School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences at Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute*

**

*Faculty Expansion Initiative*****

The School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences is pleased to invite
applications for faculty openings at all levels. Recruitment for a *bold
faculty expansion initiative* that cuts across the School’s
interdisciplinary academic departments will focus on the emerging domain of
*Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments *broadly construed, and
candidates with interest and demonstrated expertise in relevant disciplines
are strongly encouraged to apply.****

Candidates for all levels, including tenure-track Assistant Professor,
Associate Professor, and full Professor with tenure, are needed in areas
that support conceptualizing, designing and building immersive learning
environments populated with cognitively intelligent agents that support a
new generation of technologically-mediated learning in a variety of
specific disciplinary content areas. Please note some full Professor
positions may be considered for Department Head. We encourage candidates
who can offer the relevant expertise identified below. ****

ELECTRONIC ARTS ****

**· **Visual arts with substantial experience in 3D animation, new visual
technologies, and/or visual dimensions of game design****

**· **Music theory and composition as it relates to music cognition, music
and cultural studies, impacts and directions in music technology and
21stcentury music
****

**· **Traditional musicianship, as well as experience in world music or
improvisational practice.****

COGNITIVE SCIENCE****

**· **Cognitive Neuroscience****

**· **Cognitive Psychology****

**· **Cognitive Robotics****

**· **Computational Linguistics****

**· **Semantic Science and Technology with expertise in the development and
study of ontologies and semantics from cognitive science perspective****

COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA****

**· **Writing for video games, virtual worlds, and associated new media****

**· **Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) with emphasis on mobile/ubiquitous
computing, social computing, user-experience, or user-centered design.****

**· **New/Digital Media* *with an emphasis on digital or new media theory,
cultural impacts of new media; social media; mass media (film and
television); media globalization; and discourse studies.****

**· **Mandarin Language and Culture with demonstrated interest in
computer-assisted language instruction****

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY STUDIES****

**· **Interdisciplinary expertise in Design and Innovation****

**· **Community Informatics and/or GIS****

**· **Impacts of New Media on environmental justice and global health
access ****

Founded in 1824, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is the nation’s oldest
technological university. Institute programs serve undergraduates, graduate
students, and working professionals around the world. Nearly 27 percent of
undergraduate students this year are from areas outside of the Northeast.
First-year students hail from 42 states, in addition to the District of
Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 14 foreign countries.****

Rensselaer offers more than 145 programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, and
doctoral levels. Students are encouraged to work in interdisciplinary
programs that allow them to combine scholarly work from several departments
or schools. The university provides rigorous, engaging, interactive
learning environments and campus-wide opportunities for leadership,
collaboration, and creativity.****

To apply, please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the
names and contact information for three (3) professional references to:

Dean’s Office: School of Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences****

Search: Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments****

Attn: Kimberley Osburn****

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute****

110 8th Street****

Troy, NY 12180

****We welcome candidates who will bring diverse intellectual,
geographical, gender, and ethnic perspectives to Rensselaer’s work and
campus communities. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative
Ation/Equal Opportunity Employer****

Thanks!****

Lee****

** **