[game_edu] AltDev Student Summit and Student Showcase Call for Participants

Luke Dicken lukedicken at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:59:23 EDT 2012

The AltDev Student Summit, part of the AltDevBlogADay family, is an
excellent opportunity for students around the world to gain insights
into the games industry and learn from high profile developers and
companies across the globe.

The Student Summit is a two day event we are organising November
10th/11th. It is free to attend and hosted online through Google's
Hangouts on Air system. It will feature speakers from industry talking
about the reality of their day to day work life as part of the "Day in
the Life of..." track, as well as tips and tricks that you might not
be taught as part of a formal training for working in the industry but
which will are still important in the "All the Things You'll Never be
Taught" track. We'll also be having a panel session with a number of
recent entrants to the industry, talking about how they got started,
as well as our currently unannounced keynote speakers.

As part of the event, we're also running the AltDev Student Showcase,
a chance for students to present their current projects to a panel of
veteran developers (as well as the world), and receive feedback live
in a style similar to the TV show "Dragon's Den". The experts will be
looking not only for really interesting ideas, but also whether the
project is feasible from a management and team point of view.

The AltDev Student Showcase is sponsored by Unity Technologies, who
will be supplying grand prizes of Unity Pro licenses each day, giving
the winners an excellent opportunity to further advance their
development ambitions. Students can read more about this, as well as
find details for submitting their projects at http://t.co/2D9bzE5b -
please note that the deadline for submissions is October 13th.

We would very much appreciate your assistance in circulating
information about this event, especially the Student Showcase, around
your institutions, to interested students and anyone else you feel
would be relevant. To avoid spamming, we won't post about this again
until registration opens, but we will be making announcements about
speakers and so forth both through the mini-site within the main
AltDevBlogADay site
http://www.altdevblogaday.com/altdev-student-summit-2012/ and through
our Twitter account @AltDevConf

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly:
altdevconf at gmail.com