[game_edu] Workshop for Year 9 children in the UK

jedrzej.czarnota at gmail.com jedrzej.czarnota at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:08:29 EDT 2012

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I have been asked to prepare a one-hour workshop for Year 9 pupils (UK education system; those are children 13-14 years of age) explaining my video games research to them (described below). The aim of the workshop is to inspire and excite the pupils, as well as to engage them by describing cutting edge university research. The workshop will take place on campus.

As this will be the very first time when I interact as a teacher with children that age, would you kindly have any suggestions on what activities such a workshop could include? I would very much appreciate your help and suggestions.

I am a first year Ph.D. student investigating open innovation and co-creation mechanisms in MMOGs. My research focuses around understanding how game developers tap into players' creativity to develop or improve their product. It also looks into the reasons why players choose to devote their time and energy to collaborate with game developers.

Yours faithfully,
Jedrzej Czarnota
University of Manchester, Manchester Business School