[game_edu] Appropriate Emouluments

Benedict Olumhense olumhenseben at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 06:50:13 EST 2013

Thanks Ian for your detailed response. I understand what you meant by
Nigeria is a
haven for online scam but that situation is seriously changing with a lot
of our youths
engaged in genuine business ventures these days. Though I may confess, we
haven't totally
fixed the online scam situation but there has been a major improvement as
compared to the past.
Let me briefly outline some of the new business ventures I know that you
may not have heard of.

1 Co - Creation Hub (CCHUB): Till date Nigeria's famous tech innovation
incubator with strong corporate support
from organisations like
the Federal Ministry of Information and Communication Technology.
Started early last year
and has had foreign visitors from the British Council in Lagos, Nigeria.
You may want to Google
this organization for further information.

2 Spore Dust Media: Created the nation's first animation series titled
Chicken Core, again this company employs 37 men, who
started this venture from no funding
received from any organisation, just simple pocket allowance from
family and friends. Today they are
creating this series still with no funding but with the passion that they
have found by wanting to change the
impression you have about Nigeria. Here is a link to their video
http://youtu.be/9tI8RfN2iTA

3 Naija Game Evo : Our own local tournament styled series for games.
Started out early last year, with over 150 people
attending the 1st edition. As at the
finals, participants were over 400 people. This initiative was started
still
with no funding received from any corporate
organisation.

4 Danfo & Danfo reloaded: A game created by a 2 man team which later
received support in terms of marketing from Nokia West
Africa. Today this is one of the
titles we boast about.

5 Social Media Week Lagos: For the first time since this event was held
globally, Nigeria participated this year. With a lot of
corporate organisations from
Google, Microsoft, Nokia, MTN etc. supporting this venture.
Organised by Storm 360
Nigeria.

6 Global Game Jam Lagos : Again, for the 1st time after my failure of last
year to hold this event in Lagos, Nigeria. We finally
succeeded hosting this. I got
a lot of commendation from participants and I held this event with just
support from the University of
Lagos, Nigeria.

I could go on highlighting major successful event and ventures in our
country. But I want to challenge you to look more into what's happening in
Africa. Again I understand when you say there is corruption affecting us.
But among all of that situation, there are hones people doing honest
business down here. A lot of news out there, especially on CNN is about the
negativity of thins World, what's evil or not right that's affecting
nation's and people, while Nigerians and Africans are solving their own
economic problems themselves. So please do more research on Nigeria and
Africa as well.

Best Regards
Benedict Olumhense
Chair, IGDA Nigeria