[game_edu] Ph.D. in Digital Game Design

Mike Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Tue May 14 11:25:20 EDT 2013

Lee, I agree with your last (okay, penultimate) statement: "a PhD program
should turn a game maker into a game maker/studier/teacher" -- but this
presupposes that the PhD candidate is in fact already a game maker. With
due respect to the great preparatory undergrad programs out there (and
we're seeing more and more of them), getting a BS in game design is not
sufficient to understand what being a game developer is all about. This is
why I said that I would consider industry experience prior to entering a
PhD program to be crucial. I'd draw the analogy to how many top MBA
programs de facto require real-world business experience rather than taking
people right out of an undergrad program.

I think you also bring up a good point about what game research can be;
"big R little d," as opposed to the "little r big D" found in the games
industry -- that is, actual research in the games industry is vanishingly
rare. Supplementing this by a strong academy in areas of user interaction,
emotional response, narrative construction, innovative graphical
techniques, etc. would be a big step forward. We see this a bit now, but it
seems sporadic and poorly coordinated.

Which takes me to the point about publication. We all know how important
this is for academic success. The problem is, there really aren't any "game
design journals" of note. There have been some (they may even still be
around), but they lack the imprimatur of a major university and/or
publisher, along with the momentum of a pipeline of notable research
papers, to keep the flame alive. Maybe this will change in the future -- I
hope so. In the meantime, I suspect strongly that presenting at GDC or the
like wouldn't particularly impress a tenure committee.

Okay, back to the original question: the requirements for a PhD program.
Industrial, full-cycle experience, as I've said. To me that one is table
stakes. Beyond that:
- showing an understanding of the history of game genres, technologies,
mechanics, and platforms.
- Demonstrating an ability to do game design.
- Learning how to do *meaningful* research in game design and development,
and being part of the vanguard of peer-reviewed game-relevant publication
(which means starting in non-game journals)
- Showing an ability to teach and mentor students.

There are probably other important requirements; these are off the top of
my head. A program like this is not about "game criticism" IMO; if nothing
else we're not mature enough as a medium for that to be meaningful.

Good, timely discussion.

Mike Sellers