[game_edu] DiGRA Well-Played Summit

Sean Duncan seancduncan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 10:22:32 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that the DiGRA Well-Played Summit will be taking place in
Salt Lake City this year, and that proposals are due TOMORROW (Friday,
April 25th). Please see the information below on proposal guidelines and
how to submit.

A side note: This community has more expertise than any other in the
pedagogical use of games and game design, and I would personally love to
see a game education emphasis represented in the WPS. That is, how do we
understand the "well play" of game, but also, what do we do with that
understanding? Do close reads of game mechanics and game play help us to
instruct about games in a particular fashion? Does an investigation of a
specific game's design illuminate salient issues in game education? Does
the particular approach we take to investigating the "well play" of a game
reveal something useful for teaching game design?

Please consider submitting a proposal -- only abstracts are required at
this stage, but full papers are also welcome -- and please let me know if
you have any questions!

Best,

--sean

Sean C. Duncan
Assistant Professor, Learning Sciences Program
Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
secdunc at indiana.edu / playfulculturelab.org <http://se4n.org/> /
@secdunc

* Call for Participation: DiGRA 2014 Well-Played Summit *

http://wellplayeddigra14.tumblr.com/

Summit Chair: Sean Duncan (Indiana University)

We are pleased to announce the first Well-Played Summit, a co-located event
with DiGRA 2014, which will be at the Snowbird Summer Resort in Salt Lake
City, Utah, USA, meeting this August 3-6, 2014.

In this Well-Played Summit, we will be focusing on close readings and
explorations of exceptional play created by a single game. As with the ETC
Press book series (edited by Drew Davidson) and the Well Played journal,
the term “well played” is being used in the Summit in two senses. First, it
means “well-played” akin to “well read,” in which the speaker will
elaborate and contextualize a deep analysis of the workings of a game. It
can also carry a meaning akin to “well done,” in which the speaker includes
advocacy for elements of a game’s design that were well designed or well
developed. Presentations in the Well Played Summit will follow the same
time and paper formats as DiGRA paper talks, and presenters will be
encouraged to include not just screenshots of play, but video of play and,
ideally, live performance of play with the game under study.

We are following a submission and review process for the Well-Played Summit
that is separate from the DiGRA submission and review process, but similar.
As with DiGRA 2014, the Well-Played Summit supports two different
categories for submitting research: Full papers (no more than 16 pages) and
abstracts (up to 1000 words including references). A full paper submission
is recommended for completed research, while the abstract format is
suitable for preliminary work (and may require a subsequent paper
submission before acceptance). Both papers and abstracts are subject to a
double-blind review process, and will have equal time for presentation and
discussion during the Summit. All papers accepted to the DiGRA 2014 Well
Played Summit will be eligible for consideration for a special DiGRA 2014
issue of ETC Press’s Well Played journal.

Papers and Abstracts Due: 11:59pm EDT, Friday, April 25th, 2014

Notification of Decision: June 1, 2014

Please direct any questions you might have about the 2014 Well-Played
Summit to Dr. Duncan at secdunc at indiana.edu.