[game_edu] Research methods in games

Ali Arya arya at carleton.ca
Thu Aug 21 08:41:16 EDT 2014

Ryan,

Apart from typical CS-based evaluation methods such as prototyping and walkthroughs which I'm sure you are familiar with, you may want to check out statistical analyses for quantitative user studies (from simple t-test and Mann-Whitney and Wilcoxon to variations of ANOVA) or qualitative research methods such as emergent coding and grounded theory.

When it comes to human users, literature from psychology (individual level) and business (organizational level) are good sources of research methods.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Ali Arya
Associate Professor of Interactive Multimedia
School of Information Technology, Carleton University, Ottawa
Phone: 613-520-2600 Ext. 4184
http://www.csit.carleton.ca/~arya

"You see things and say why,
I dream of things and say why not ..."