[game_edu] research methods in games

Sittler, Ryan sittler at calu.edu
Thu Aug 21 10:30:30 EDT 2014

Hi Malcolm.

I'm in the midst of finishing my PhD in Communications Media and Instructional Technology - my dissertation research involves evaluating the effects of music on cognition in game environments. I'm using criterion-referenced tests as evaluation tools; likely different from what you've been doing. My Chair always reminds me that my study is, at its core, a study in educational psychology. From the different studies and methods I've read/examined... I definitely can see what you're referring to. I suppose a lot of this comes down to how "game" fits into the research... and the field in which the research takes place.

Anyway, you bring up an interesting point. If a guide like this exists, I am not aware of it. Though I'd certainly consider contributing to something like that.

Thanks much,
Ryan

--
Ryan L. Sittler, MSLS, MSIT