[game_edu] Group project team formation

Bhupinder Virk-Anwar bhusafdar at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 11:14:27 EDT 2015

Hi
i ask students to fill out  a form (Google Form for instance) asking for their strengths-communication, artistic abilities, audio, or  sometimes i ask them to rate themselves on their programming, artistic, project management etc. abilities 1 -5.
For me as a teacher, I like everyone to know the foundation of game design, programming, art etc. 1st semester. Also, I ask them to look up job descriptions and roles in the gaming industry. 2nd semester i let the students take on roles. Some years i pick random teams others i let them chose them. As the years go on, I am leaning towards not letting them choose their teams. This scenario of not being able to choose who one can work with and can't reflects what happens in the  "real world".
i frequently ask them for individual surveys on how the team is working together. This let's me handle any problems in a timely manner.
Bhupinder