[game_edu] CfP: a special video issue of Well Played

drew davidson drew at waxebb.com
Mon Nov 30 19:48:20 EST 2015

CfP: a special video issue of Well Played, edited by Moses Wolfenstein and focusing on Let’s Play as well played

Between 2006 and 2007, both the Well Played approach to video game analysis and the Let’s Play (LP) format for recording and sharing player experiences emerged. This special issue of the Well Played journal merges these two modes of engaging with games by asking contributors to depart from the traditional academic medium of the written article, and instead create a video that helps us further explore what we mean when we talk about a game, player, or developer as well played. While all contributions should be videos that explore the well played concept, they might take the form of:

A conventional single session LP
An LP series
A remix of one or more LPs with a narrated meta-analysis
Something else we haven’t thought of
ETC Press is accepting submissions for this special issue of the Well Played journal.

All submissions are due 29 February 2016 (5pm (EST).

All submission links and questions should be sent to:

well-played (at) lists (dot) andrew (dot) cmu (dot) edu

For more information and editing guidelines please view:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LetsPlay <https://www.youtube.com/user/LetsPlay>
http://press.etc.cmu.edu/wellplayed <http://press.etc.cmu.edu/wellplayed>
This will give you as sense of format and content ideas which we encourage you to mashup.

Videos should be between 15-20 minutes and edited to best show the key gameplay moments analyzed in voice over.  To help best resonate with the Let’s Play community, we are accepting links to YouTube vidoes as submissions. Videos can be works in progress, but in order to get good editorial feedback, they need to far enough along in the process to be considered a full draft as it were. Final submissions should be in mp4 format and will be accepted via Dropbox and uploaded to a Well Played YouTube channel.

The Well Played Journal is a forum for in-depth close readings of video games that parse out the various meanings to be found in the experience of playing a game.  It is a reviewed journal open to submissions that will be released on a regular basis.

Contributors are encouraged to analyze sequences in a game in detail in order to illustrate and interpret how the various components of a game can come together to create a fulfilling playing experience unique to this medium. Through contributors, the journal will provide a variety of perspectives on the value of games.

The goal of the journal is to continue developing and defining a literacy of games as well as a sense of their value as an experience. Video games are a complex medium that merits careful interpretation and insightful analysis. By inviting contributors to look closely at video games and the experience of playing them, we hope to expand the discussion, and show how games are well played in a variety of ways.

The ETC Press is an academic and open-source publishing imprint that distributes its work in print, electronic and digital form. Inviting readers to contribute to and create versions of each publication, ETC Press fosters a community of collaborative authorship and dialogue across media. ETC Press represents an experiment and an evolution in publishing, bridging virtual and physical media to redefine the future of publication.

http://press.etc.cmu.edu//wellplayed <http://www.etc.cmu.edu/etcpress/wellplayed>
Twittter:  <http://twitter.com/#!/etcwellplayed>http://twitter.com/#!/etcwellplayed <http://twitter.com/#!/etcwellplayed>

ISSN 2164-344X (Print)

ISSN 2164-3458 (Online)