[game_edu] Student IP for coursework

Mike Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Thu Aug 24 14:09:34 EDT 2017

At Indiana University, students (and faculty) in game design own their IP
(I'm pretty sure that's not the case across the board). Our capstone
students create LLCs as part of an introduction to the business side of
things. We have a corporate template that includes default rules (that the
LLC can change via a vote) for how to deal with people who roll off the
project, join late, etc. It also makes the students confront the reality of
differential percentage ownership based on their individual performance and
longevity on the project. We also have a license agreement in place with
each of these LLCs that allows us (the department) to use any of their tech
that's not central to their game in other games -- so if someone makes a
cool menuing system or something, other student teams can use it later on
too (that's been theoretical thus far, but I wanted to preserve the option).

We went through a long process with the university about this, mostly
because they were unfamiliar with this being something students would want
to do. I think most universities have set policies on IP ownership; you'd
be well advised to check with the legal counsel's office for clarification
and guidance. The last thing you want to have happen is for some student
team to have their game bought by another company, and only then does the
university rouse itself and say "not so fast..."

Mike