[game_edu] Remote Sites for the Climate Change Game Jam

Scott Nicholson scott at scottnicholson.com
Tue Feb 28 16:16:10 EST 2017

The Brantford Games Network lab (BGNlab) at Wilfrid Laurier University is
hosting a Climate Change Game Jam for Ontario college and university
students on March 18 and 19 with funding from the Government of Ontario,
and we're seeking remote sites to join us!

We have just been approved to have remote sites join in on the Game Jam.    We
will be livestreaming our initial briefing at 9AM EST on Saturday, March
18.  We will also record it, so if you can't join us live, you will have it
available.  We will also be sending out other briefing materials prepared
by the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.  Then jammers will
be making games that can change the world!  These can be digital, analog,
or live action games.

On Sunday, March 19th, we will be asking sites to submit a form with some
information about what went on.  We will also ask sites to have their
jammers upload their ideas and prototypes to itch.io and place them into
the Creative Commons, so anyone can benefit from the ideas.   The links
needed for the livestream, content, and submission location will be
provided to those sites that sign up.

We then will be developing some of the ideas from the jams into testable
prototypes.  We will hire student teams over the Summer of 2017 to develop two
games out of the ideas and prototypes submitted for the jam.  We'll then be
doing testing of the games, and then in early 2018, we will release the
game prototypes, design documents, and research results with the hope of
getting studios to take the ideas and create localized versions of the
games.

If you would like to sign up as a school, a lab, or your household, you can
learn more and sign up as a remote site at
http://bgnlab.ca/blog/2017/2/28/join-us-remotely-for-the-climate-change-game-jam.html

Scott Nicholson,
Professor and Director of Game Design and Development
Wilfrid Laurier University, Brantford, Ontario, Canada