[game_edu] Faculty Position (Game Engineering) at University of Utah (non TT)

Jose P Zagal jose.zagal at utah.edu
Tue Oct 10 13:46:17 EDT 2017

Hi,

So we're hiring here at the EAE program in Utah. If you have any
questions feel free to contact me.  Full job description and URL to
apply is below.

thanks!

Jose Zagal

--
The University of Utah’s Entertainment Arts and Engineering (EAE)
program is seeking to hire a teaching faculty member at the rank of

Seeking to build upon its reputation as a world-class professional games
education program, EAE is looking to hire a teaching faculty member in
Game Engineering. Candidates must hold a terminal degree, preferably a
Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related discipline. Senior candidates
must demonstrate a record of outstanding teaching; junior candidates
must demonstrate the potential for teaching excellence. The successful
candidate will bring a depth of knowledge about game engineering as well
as a passion to convey that knowledge to a diverse collection of
students within EAE and the broader Utah student community.
Responsibilities include teaching a variety of courses based on
specialization. Examples may include games analytics, game engine
development, gameplay programming, projects classes and special topics
courses in the area of the candidate’s specialty. In addition, the
faculty member may also conduct research and perform university and
professional service. Faculty will teach courses at the graduate and
undergraduate levels, including courses in our new BS in Games degree.

If you are interested in teaching the next generation’s leaders in games
and interactive entertainment, we strongly encourage you to apply.

The University of Utah’s Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program is a
world leader in games education, with top-ranked programs at both the
undergraduate and graduate levels. Founded in 2007 as a collaborative
effort of Utah’s Departments of Computer Science and Film and Digital
Media, EAE is now an independent teaching program centered on the
discipline of games, with graduate and undergraduate programs ranked in
the top four worldwide by Princeton Review consistently since 2013. EAE
programs were ranked number one in the world in 2013, 2015 and 2016. The
EAE faculty includes artists, computer scientists, designers, games
studies scholars, and social scientists who work together to design and
teach our courses. This diversity of background in our faculty is one of
the core elements of our students’ experiences.

The University of Utah is a Carnegie Research I institution located in
Salt Lake City, the hub of a large metropolitan area with excellent
cultural and recreational opportunities. Additionally, a vibrant local
game development community offers opportunities for interesting
collaborations. In their 2016 report on the videogame industry in the
US, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) described Utah as the
2nd best performing state for growth in the game industry since 2013.
Further information about EAE and our current faculty can be found at
http://eae.utah.edu/about-us/.

Interested candidates should provide a cover letter, curriculum vitae,
teaching statement (no more than 2 pages in length), and names and
contact information for at least three references to be considered.
Evidence of teaching effectiveness is also strongly recommended if
available. Applications must be submitted on-line at this URL:

https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/69692

Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by
December 15, 2017 will receive full consideration.  EAE is especially
interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity
of our academic community. We strongly encourage underrepresented
minority and women candidates to apply.

EEO/Diversity Information
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
employer and does not discriminate based upon race, national origin,
color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity/expression, status as a person with a disability, genetic
information, or Protected Veteran status. Individuals from historically
underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons
with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request
and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request,
reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to
individuals with disabilities. To inquire about the University’s
nondiscrimination or affirmative action policies or to request
disability accommodation, please contact: Director, Office of Equal
Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 135,
(801) 581-8365.

The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in
settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a strong
commitment to improving access to higher education for historically
underrepresented students.