[games_access] Rating System for accessibility

Barrie Ellis info at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Sep 27 17:59:47 EDT 2004

Hi Jonathan,

Very true, and long may these game continue to be written. However, I was
thinking of globally known games, designed with no thought to access at all,
and how to improve them with an "accessibility layer" to quote the AGRIP
project (www.agrip.org.uk).

I can't see game programmers following a comprehensive set of guidelines,
such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (www.w3.org) for a long
time. Much less ticking all the boxes (as good and important as that would
be).

Could there be something written and a consensus found on what would be a
good basic start for gaming access features? And from thereon, suggested
further improvments for access? I think something needs to be put in place,
then presented to developers that they can understand.

This is why I suggested thinking about Space Invaders. Does anyone remember
the Atari VCS Space Invaders and the huge range of options that game had
(112 I think)? Progress has seen that kind of flexibility wiped out for some
reason.What would be the simplest access features to add? What would be the
most complicated and time consuming?

My thoughts:

> Wider difficulty / game play options: For example invaders fire just one
> bullet; You can shoot through shields, the invaders can't; Greater choice
> over how many lives you get; Add a temporary invincibility feature that
> can be time adjusted; Invaders don't speed up; invaders don't get lower.

> Controls: User definable controls; Constant firing mode; one button gaming
> (pressing a X toggles between left or right); fire when left or right is
> pressed.

> Menu system: Wrap-a-round menus (require less buttons to navigate); scan
> and select menus; spoken menus; pictorial menus.

> Sight impaired options: Less invaders - bigger / simpler graphics options.

> Blind options: On screen game narrated.

Any other thoughts for this, any other game, or indeed the whole idea of a
rating system?

Best wishes,

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk