[games_access] Checkpoints for game accessibility...

Barrie Ellis info at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Jan 3 10:32:00 EST 2005

Picking up on Richard's thread on accessibility features, I remember Atari's
old "Special Feature" Teddy Bear icon that adorned the front of some of
their 2600 game boxes. Try:

http://www.atariage.com/system_items.html?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=BOX
Then search on Missile Command (or Warlords, Super Breakout, Pac-Man or
Defender).

What about using a standardised image representing "Accessibility Features"
on the front of a game box, with some bullet points on the back - linking to
a web-site for more details. Perhaps an IGDA database of accessibility
information?

Bullet points might include (taking into account what Richard has already
said):

- User definable controls (to include using much simplified controls -
auto-rapid fire etc.).
- Closed captioning.
- Wide Difficulty level selection (speed control - variable invulnerability
periods - etc.).
- Gaming assistant modes.
- Sight impairment tweaks (e.g. contrast / colour schemes / basic or
detailed graphics etc.).
- Simplified menus (see Metropolis Street Racer for epic menus before you
can even race a car).

I can't see game developers making their games accessible to all for a long,
long time - but I can see them adding increasing numbers of features. In
fact a number of games have what I'd describe as accessibility features
already - e.g. the Sega game F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast has automatic
braking, so you don't over shoot corners, auto-centering to line you up for
corners and so on. Why not sell these as accessibility features?

What do people think?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk

"Now a question: did anyone here try to define a list of checkpoints for
game accessibility already? Maybe we could discuss such a list on this
emailgroup?
Just in case, let's start here (this is just from the top of my head so we
have something to talk about; some of the things are maybe absurd, let's
hear it then!):

- Provide a visual equavalent for any auditory information (which is the
opposite to...) >>> subtitles
- Provide an auditory equavalent for any visual information
- Support controller alternatives: for any type of controller (mouse,
joystick, game controller, etc... provide an alternative: keyboard, eye
controller, speech commands)
- Use clear language: avoid difficult language
- Avoid color communication: make sure that any information provided by
color has an alternative
- Let players set the speed of the game
- Let players set the difficulty of the game
- Avoid flickering (includes heavy explosions?)
- (anyone)"