[games_access] Nintendo one handed controller

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 19 17:43:35 EDT 2005

I sent out a letter a while ago but never got a response
back -- it was the last time we talked about sending them an
open letter. Unfortunately all this stuff was fried in my
recent hard drive crash -- Reid? Do you have a copy of the
stuff you sent me several months ago so that I can try and
recreate it and then we can work on drafting the letter on
the wiki?

Yeah, I agree that the Nintendo controller is going to be a
nightmare to a lot of people. At the same time I've heard
from a lot of parents over the years who have children who
only have the use of one hand/arm and this may be a good
solution for them. I'm not disagreeing that this is a bad
step back for many -- it's just that it might also be a step
forward for some. Numbers-wise, I'm not sure how many this
is good/bad for. It is a nice example of how accessibility
isn't so simple that we, as a SIG, can just say "oh, just do
this and you've created an accessible
game/controller/console."

Michelle