[games_access] sign language characters? Reid, Richard, Anyone

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 14:36:27 EDT 2006

Richard,
Nice animation! Certainly gets the idea across better. I thought you
meant characters in the world actually signing during gameplay and I
was only thinking about slower, adventure type games doing that.
However, for a faster game, maybe a person in a bubble using sign
language could work. I have my doubts because as you mention, the
player needs to concentrate on the action, but then again, the
Doom3[CC] mod has the same fundamental problem yet it works pretty
well. I'm not that well versed in American Sign Language, so my
comprehension of ASL is much slower than I can read text. Someone who
is fluent in ASL might actually prefer a person signing in a bubble
window on the HUD instead. It's something worth researching I think.

Robert,
Yeah, your ideas sound similar to mine for the game. Some references
you may want to look at are the game ICO. In that game, you have to
save a girl to escape a dangerous castle, yet there is a verbal
communication barrier. It gets broken down at the end when the
characters actions speak the mutual language of love. That sounds
cheesy, but it's true. A movie you might want to watch that features
communication difficulties between those that speak orally and those
that speak ASL is called "Children of a Lesser God".

There are many many forms of sign language. Native americans have
their own, different countries in Europe have their own, and different
parts of Asia have their own. They are like dialects I think. They all
use the same grammatical rules (I believe) but the hand shapes and
motions might be very different for the same word. Facial expressions
play a HUGE part in sign language. Even in spoken dialog, facial
expressions play a big part. Body language is a universal language and
facial expressions are included in that.

-Reid