[games_access] message to developers at conference

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Jan 2 07:59:01 EST 2006

Hi Robert,

We're hoping that the group's work and membership will keep snow-balling
alongside the work of others (such as Samsung, Valve, Namco etc.). The dream
of games becoming accessible to all is unlikely to happen. Some 3D games
make me very nauseous with motion sickness after a short period of playing.
However, for me, there's loads of alternatives, which should be the case for
everyone.

What sorts of games can you not play Robert? What are the barriers for you?
I was impressed by your video with the Quadcontrol.

If you've been looking at the one switch games, I'd recommend you take a
look at the following:

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/switch-downloads.htm

Alice Amazed: (very nice menu system, wide range of difficulties, 2 player
option, simple controls)
Aurikon: (nice use of multiple functions on a single button)
Mini Golf 1 Button Style: (nice way that all golf games could be made more
accessible)
Orbit Racers: (oval tracks can be very accessible)
Sentinella: (superb Robotron type game for one switch)
Sky Puppy: (accessibility issues here - requires sustained rapid presses -
just too much for many disabled gamers - could be fixed)
Star Wars: (if you know Atari's classic 1983 game, you might never had
thought it possible to reduce the controls down so far, but it works)
Strange Attractors: (the game up for an award at the Independent Game
Festival at GDC 2006).
Stone Worm: (I just like this)

Try this for some great Audio Games:
http://www.audiogames.net/listgames.php?mode=short - I recommend looking at
"The Curb Game", "Terraformers" and "The Blind Eye" as well as
http://homepage2.nifty.com/JHS/SIFB_TRIAL2.exe - for "Space Invaders for
Blind".

Have a great 2006.

Barrie Ellis