[games_access] The Right Thing vs. The Profitable Thing / GDC T-Shirt

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:08:08 EST 2006

Well, Richard, what you say about profit is very true in the
game industry and, really, any leisure industry. At GDC last
year we were asked a ton of times:

* "but what percentage of potential gamers are we talking about?"
* "how can we be sure that if a game is accessible to, say,
the hearing impaired that they would be gamers if they could
play our games?"
* "what disability group do we make our games accessible to in
order to get the max profit?

And really what percentage of POTENTIAL gamers are we talking
about? Can we say with complete confidence that if all
mainstream games were accessible to the blind, that 40% of the
blind population would then play your games? No, we can't.
Because once they are accessible, then we come to game
preference...and what TYPES of games these new potential
gamers would enjoy playing (FPS? Puzzle games? RPGs?)...and
on...and on...and on...

We will deal with this at GDC again this year...and next
year...and the years after that. What we CAN say is that if
mainstream games aren't accessible, then we'll never really
know what kind of market share we're talking about, will we?
And that's a major point...but not one that really sells to
marketing groups of the big studios. Because they are looking
for "hard numbers" that they don't seem to understand are
really friggin' hard to produce.

So after all this crazy typing (see? the insanity increases),
I think we should keep going at this from BOTH angles...the
right thing AND the profitable thing. I'd love for us to dig
up some stats on how much of a market increase closed
captioning has done for, say, Disney World or Imax. Yes, we
deal with accessibility of "serious games" (games for
education and industry) but our biggest hurdle is the
mainstream entertainment industry where laws like US law 508,
etc do not apply.

Ok...uh, so the t-shirt...yeah, lady liberty. Let's GO
offensive. I agree that we may offend the industry that locks
people out. Oh well. :) I mean it's not like the game industry
itself hasn't offended millions already for violence, sex,
etc. Yeah, ok, that's not the "high road" -- but we are going
for a bit of a statement, aren't we?

That being said...yes, we need to run with the sharks too and
get our stats and come at them from a number's perspective.
Thanks for bringing that up, Richard! We'll be dealing with it
again in March!

Wow...where did that rant come from? No, it's not aimed at
anyone in particular...just general pissed off-ness about the
state of the industry.

Michelle