[games_access] Top 3 Top 3 and IGDA GASIG Awards Ceremony 2008

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sun Dec 2 15:46:26 EST 2007

Hi Reid,

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate the point that some access
features are harder than they first seem to implement. But there definitely
are easy to add features for specific genres. Quickly:

a. Driving games - imagine OutRun - adding wider difficulty level adjustment
such as much more generous time limits to complete a stage is very easy.
b. Pinball games - allowing for adjustment in ball speed as a menu option
seems pretty straight forward to me.
c. Golf games - allowing an Easy Play option whereby hook and slice can be
turned off also sounds very easy to me.

Maybe the Extra Suggestions part is confusing the original message. These
are intended to show some ways devleopers can stretch out and go a bit
futher with that type of accessibility.

I wouldn't want us to scare off developers by saying there are no "easy"
accessibility features for developers to add. I really don't believe it. If
Atari could do it regularly for the Atari 2600 in the early 1980's...

2. If it's really that contentious, I'll change it - but "3 most requested"
isn't bullet proof either.

3. Why don't we make a Top 3 Most Requested Accessibility Features for each
disability area? Sounds like a good idea to me...

Barrie