[games_access] 9+1 Key Points

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Mon Dec 17 05:30:44 EST 2007

Richard,

Actually, we used presets very much like you describe in an early version
of the GameBook.
Playtesters found them too confusing, too many options, so we took them out.
I think the problem was that the preset didn't immediately tell the gamer
what was being set.
And we still had the specific tweak buttons as well.

I personally like the idea, as a manifestation of the Facade pattern.
We could layer the Control Panel, applying Progressive Revelation, but that
still adds to the complexity of the UI.

In a larger context, last week a coding colleague suggested that the term
"Advanced" be used on such panels.
His thinking being that that is a generally accepted term that both
indicates more control and at the same time indicates more complexity. That
would likely mitigate the "too many types of chips" problem.

This is one of those "interesting" problems for which I'm trying to resolve
an idiom.

Thanks for the screen shot. I printed it for my work set for this project.

And thanks for your ideas.

John