[games_access] Legislating for Game Accessibility

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 20 19:35:19 EST 2007

Ratings have been something we've talked about for a long while now
and I'm for them if we can come up with a way that can prevent them
from being misleading or misused. For example, the ESRB has paid
employees that help make sure that a game meets the ratings and are
forced to meet again about games when "hidden" content that breaks
the rating comes about (Grand Theft Auto...). We don't have that at
this point. However I'm working with the ESA and the ECA in trying to
see how we could set up something like this for accessibility
(pros/cons/etc). For instance, we wouldn't like a developer to
advertise closed captioning when all they provide is some subtitles
with no thought to ambient sounds, cut scenes, etc. We'd need to work
on a system where it's clear cut when we can be comfortable saying
"yes, the use of this symbol means that the IGDA Game Accessibility
SIG (or an ESA sponsored Accessibility Ratings Board if we can get
that kind of commitment/buy in from them) agrees that this game meets
a certain standard of closed captioning and we agree that they can
use the symbol." After all, the last thing we would want is for a
game company to advertise a feature that really isn't in the game to
the level that it makes the game accessible to a certain audience --
it would undermine the ratings system and open things up to legal
battles that might turn the industry against us (ie, the industry
might say "hey...we were just trying to help but we got it wrong and
no one was there to correct us -- had we not bothered at all, we
wouldn't be in this lawsuit for false advertisement!). So a lot of
thinking needs to go into this -- I believe it's something we should
move toward but we'll need the assistance of folks from the ESA and
such to help us get this right.

Yeah...I know...good intentions too often spring to ugly results. But
the more we can think through those ahead of time, the better! In the
meantime, we can keep at this and keep pointing out when a company
does something that is exemplary (even if they don't realize they did
it!). :)

Michelle