[games_access] New game lab coming soon to the main branch of the library in Charlotte, N.C.

Lynn Marentette lynnvm at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jun 4 16:32:53 EDT 2007

Hi.  I thought this info might be interesting to both groups:

Matt Gullet, the Manager of  Emerging Technologies at the Public Library of
Charlotte and Mecklenburg County (PLCMC), sent me a link to this notice:

        "We just announced Tuesday at our Technology Summit that we will be
developing a "Game Lab" here at PLCMC. The "Game Lab" will open in Virtual
Village at Main Library this summer. We will be making a more formal
announcement and splash this summer. The lab will be a first for public
libraries. Initially, it will work with the University of North Carolina,
Charlotte; Youth Digital Arts CyberSchool (www.ydacs.com); and Capcom
Entertainment, Inc ( <http://www.capcom.com/> http://www.capcom.com). We
will also be partners in Syracuse University's Library Game Lab (
<http://gamelab.syr.edu/> http://gamelab.syr.edu) with the American Library
Association, along with individuals at the University of Illinois and OCLC."

        "The Game Lab will work with library customers, the community in
general, universities, organizations and corporations to develop programs
and services that increase digital literacy through games and interactive
media. The lab will educate the public about the benefits of gaming and
interactive media usage and creation. For more information contact Matt
Gullett, Emerging Technology Manager: mgullett at plcmc.org."

I have met with Matt spoke with him how the library could become an
important part of getting the word out about game access issues.  One of the
IT/CS professors at UNC-C who is researching games and education, Dr.
Tiffany Barnes,  is teaching a course in "Intelligent Tutoring Systems" next
fall.  I might take the course so I can work on an accessible learning game.
It would be great to have a lab in the community to test things out.

By the way, the  Virtual Village at the main branch of the PLCMC is also the
home of a wealth of accessible computers and equipment, so I think this fits
very well!

I would like to hear from others who are involved in similar pursuits in
other regions!

Lynn Marentette
 <http://techpsych.blogspot.com/>
Interactive  <http://interactivemultimediatechnology.blogspot.com/>