[games_access] GDC deadline in less than 8 hours and help isneeded!

Eitan Glinert glinert at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 1 19:01:58 EDT 2007

Hi,

I just submitted the AudiOdyssey Post Mortem. I made a bunch of changes so
it shouldn't overlap that much with what everyone else is submitting
(hopefully). I've attached it below in case anyone is interested.

Michelle and Eelke, thanks so much for all your help and feedback.
Everyone, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help your
submissions before the deadline.

Eitan

----------
Title:
AudiOdyssey Post Mortem - How to Make a Wiimote Controlled Accessible PC Game

Track, Format, Theme, Audience Level:
Game Design - 1st, Vision - 2nd
60 Minute Lecture
Experimental
Open to all experience levels

Session Overview (50 words):
AudiOdyssey is a downloadable prototype rhythm game which is usable by both
sighted and non-sighted audiences. This session covers what went right and
wrong in AudiOdyssey's development, why industry should care about disabled
gamers, and tips for rapidly prototyping similar games.

Concise Presentation Description (100 words):
This past year, a small team at the Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab created
AudiOdyssey, a prototype accessible video game designed for the visually
impaired. A PC game, it opens up new, expressive interfaces to the blind by
allowing for multiple control schemes, including the Wiimote. This session
details the research behind the project, the production and design
challenges the team faced, pitfalls and how they were (or weren’t)
overcome, and provides advice for others looking to create similar games.
The talk includes a live demonstration.

Intended Audience and Prereqs (40 words):
This talk is focused on design and intended for game designers, producers,
academics, and people interested in experimental game design. No experience
is required.

Session Takeaway (40 words):
- It is possible to make games that are both accessible and still enjoyable
to mainstream gamers
- Rapidly prototyping innovative game design ideas with a “less is more”
philosophy ultimately leads to better, and more original, video games

Extended abstract (500 words):

Until recently non-casual gaming has been dominated by young men, with
other groups comprising a relatively small portion of the market. Over the
past few years, though, there has been an industry wide push to bring
traditionally non-gaming demographics into the fold, with concerted
commercial efforts to make and market games for women, the elderly, and the
very young. However, the disabled have consistently been left out of such
growth, and today there are few accessible games. This is curious, as a
huge percentage of people suffer from disabilities - according to the 2000
US Census, 18.6% of citizens aged 16 to 64 suffer from some form of
disability (granted, many of these individuals are in the higher segment of
the age range).

This is bizarre – how can the industry ignore such a large potential market
share? Many game developers rationalize this trend by arguing that
accessible games tend to perform poorly in mainstream audiences, as the
games are generally inferior to non-accessible productions. The MIT GAMBIT
games lab doesn’t buy into that reasoning. Believing there is a huge demand
for accessible games, the lab created AudiOdyssey, a prototype game that is
accessible to BOTH the visually impaired and the sighted mainstream.

AudiOdyssey's development had four research goals, namely:

- Implementing a game design that allows visually impaired and sighted
users to play the game in the same way, with the same level of challenge,
and share a common gaming experience.
- Designing online multiplayer that allows for identity masking, at least
in the sense that users in remote locations should not be aware of the
visual status of their gaming counterpart.
- Designing alternative control schemes for improved accessibility to the
visually impaired.
- Creating a fun, engaging game that relies on audio more than visuals to
simulate an exciting experience.

Over a rapid, summer-long development cycle, a small team of eight
undergraduates and graduates took AudiOdyssey from research idea to
implemented prototype. Overall, development was very successful – Wiimote
controls were added to allow for a more expressive interface, spatial sound
output was used to give cues to the user, and visually impaired users were
consulted to make sure the final product was usable by everyone, regardless
of their level of sight. Unfortunately, parts of development proved
problematic, and the team was forced to drop multiplayer, made poor choices
about sound formats, and failed to add adjustable difficulty prior to release.

Given by AudiOdyssey’s project lead, the GDC presentation will be a lively
discussion covering how the research goals for the project were picked, the
experimental game development process, and motivation for why similar games
should be created. Attention will be paid to which parts of the process
worked, which didn't, and why they didn't. Pitfalls in accessible game
development will be explored thoroughly. The talk will also cover formal
testing results (taking place in late October), and conclude with a live
demo of the game and a Q + A session.

Presentation Materials (400 CHARS):
QuickTime, Powerpoint & Projector
Live Demonstration of AudiOdyssey (we will provide laptop and wiimote, we
only need AV cables)

Past Speaking Engagements (800 CHARS):
"Immune Attack: Teaching Biology in a Video Game", at Games for Health, May
9th, 2006
"Immune Attack: Teaching Biology in a Video Game", at Games for Health,
Sept. 29th, 2006
Contact for Games for Health Talks:
Ben Sawyer, bsawyer at dmill.com, Co-Founder of Digital Mill, organizer for
Serious Games Summits

"Immune Attack: An Educational Video Game", at the National Science
Foundation, May 31st, 2006
No Contact Info Available

Accepted Talks:
"AudiOdyssey: An Accessible Game for Both Sighted and Non-Sighted Gamers",
at FuturePlay, Nov 2007
Contact: Dr. Bill Kapralos and Jim Parker, Bill.Kapralos at uoit.ca and
jparker at ucalgary.ca

Recent CNN article on AudiOdyssey and GAMBIT:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/09/02/video.blind/