[games_access] GDC S.F preparation, status.

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Sun Aug 3 20:05:31 EDT 2008

Hi Michelle,

I think I'll keep working on this instead of sleeping, otherwise I
will just have a hard time to sleep :)

On 1 aug 2008, at 12.45, d. michelle hinn wrote:

> Thanks Thomas!

You're welcome :)

> What a relief! Thank you so much! I've been getting pumped full of
> IV antibiotics and all kinds of stuff to try and get this under
> control. There's a rather alarming documentary on the disease at:
>
> http://www.openeyepictures.com/underourskin/index.html

Have to look at that documentary later as I'm on mobile connection at
the moment

> I could hardly watch the trailer because I am so freaked out that we
> didn't catch it early enough (every day matters with this thing).
> So, Thomas, I absolutely don't mind you stepping in to assist AT ALL.

OK sounds good! I'm at the computer anyway since I'm working on a game
project this summer.

> Perhaps you could help sort out some ideas beyond where I am now
> (see below). I think that I have three solid ones that I think will
> get accepted but I need some people to commit to those sessions now
> so that I have descriptions of EXACTLY what tech talk solutions
> we'll have, etc etc. So people -- now is not the time to ignore the
> call -- these are our GDC passes for this next year!! Please let
> both Thomas and I know, off list, which ones you want to help out
> with as I'll need to get bio info, etc for when I put them into the
> system.

I agree

> Thomas -- I'll send you my files sometime today or tomorrow so that
> people can read and give feedback on them. Luckily I have three that
> are almost done (see below) before this happened so I feel pretty
> confident that we'll be able to get this done with no one spending
> days at a time awake (me..hehe).

Good

> (1 Accessibility Arcade again only updated,

> (2) put together an Accessibility 101 session where people could get
> a "crash course" in an hour (I'm basing this on the feedback we are
> now getting that people want us to explain accessibility more after
> seeing the arcade), and

> (3) a "tech talk" panel on solutions for programmers (this is the
> Advanced course for accessibility for those who complain that we
> don't give them solutions).

OK, outlined on the wiki now

> What suggestions do people have for "must haves" in the arcade this
> year (companies to sponsor us, devices to show, etc)?

I'll see what I can come up with

> Who wants to be on the "tech talk" panel and what will you talk
> about? This should be about 3-4 people giving super fast "solutions
> that work" demos along with the technical bits behind it.

me :)

> For a fourth option, we could try to put together a "community"
> panel with those with disabilities talking about their experiences,
> etc.
>
> This last one is going to be hard to get accepted so if there's
> enough interest in it from the list, we need to really make that
> write up spectacular. I said this because I know now how
> conservative GDC is becoming the bigger it gets. But if someone
> wants to take the community idea and have a go at putting it
> together, we definitely should. I can help on that one but I'm
> hoping someone else (Mark Bartlet? This might be up your alley!) can
> sketch out the plan (who would be a part of it, why it's an
> important session to be at, etc, etc).

OK Mark, feel free to edit the wiki with a fourth session!

Kind regards

Thomas