[games_access] Fw: Single-Handed Access Game Controller is Here

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Jun 9 12:54:04 EDT 2008

I didn't realise that you're not a die-hard QuadController fan, Robert.... I like your ideas. Your idea of a separate display ties up with an ancient unfinshed project of mine to have a separate computer with input and output boxes driving a games console.

Head tracking sounds great for games console control - which could offer a lot of potential. Presently - there's the DreamGamer for consoles - but this is a very simple device really - with four digital tilt switches - and nothing externally indicating when you are in the "dead-zone" (i.e. - you're not activating up, down, left or right - you're doing nothing). http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-head.htm

Here's a mix of your ideas and mine.....

A standard laptop computer.
A blue-tooth output box (for sending gaming signals out to your PS3 / Xbox 360 / Wii / Future Console)
A variety of optional interfaces including:
  A Multi-point tracking head-tracker.
  Wii-mote style movement sensors.
  Standard JoyPad and Joystick controllers (i.e. compatibility with many switch interfaces, arcade sticks, split controllers, one-handed controllers and so on)
  Standard Mouse recognised controllers (i.e. compatibility with track-balls, standard head-trackers - and maybe even interactive white boards)
  Standard Keyboard (for an enabler to have access to any extra controls the main-gamer can't cope with).

The key component would be the software - which would analyse your movements according to certain user-defined profiles - then kick out the blue-tooth signals to your game console. I could imagine certain games being made playable with far less buttons in this way - I could imagine certain difficult repetitions / held-button requirements or complicated combinations being made more accessible - I could imagine the problem of games having no facility to remap controls becoming a problem of the past - I could imagine this not having to cost the earth...

So can you run with this on the list? What would make this better - what features would be needed in the software?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk
www.igda.org/accessibility