[games_access] question game definition

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 18 16:42:47 EDT 2009

Sandra,

The thing is...no one really agrees WHAT a game
is across all the academic disciplines and even
in the industry. My personal definition when
people ask me if a one switch version of a
mainstream game is still a game? I ask "does the
gamer think it's a game?" If so? Who are we to
say that it is not a game for them? That's
obviously colored by my experience with gamers
with disabilities. And the same goes for that
easy to define (ha!) "fun" -- does the person say
that they are having fun? Then maybe they are
even if you don't think it is or it doesn't
follow a definition to the letter.

I mean Twister can be an exergame. And there's no
e-version of that as far as I know. But even if
there is...is it more or less immersive than the
traditional mat on the floor version? Does it
matter?

So look for board/home games that are exercise
oriented. Tag. Hopscotch. Jump rope (when a
competition surrounds it). Non-electronic sports
-- football (either version), olympic sports
(they call them the "olympic games" after all).
Aren't these exergames? So that's where I'd
challenge your expert...do these now have names
like "retro-non-electronic-exergames?"

As far as other games...board games, card
games...all games. Chess...super old game! And
when it translates to the battlefield...is that
now a war game/exergame? Cynical I know...but
Chess, Risk, strategy games...they play out in
real life.

Then...there's the definition of "exercise" --
does that only mean physical movement? No...

Just my thoughts...sorry to make things more
complex but I find myself getting grouchier over
the years over definitions of things. I
understand where you are coming from! But I have
seen too much time wasted on arguing about
definitions that result in nothing other than
people still not agreeing when we could be
spending time actually doing things like making
"games" (however you define that!). :)

Michelle