[games_access] question game definition

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 19 12:47:35 EDT 2009

I think we can call electronic games by whatever
term we want to as long as we describe what we
are talking about. Electronic media gets tricky
because, well, that's TV, the internet...if you
are really describing a game those get thrown in
under that heading -- and internationally that
might be even more confusing.

I'm a Psychology PhD so I love to get into the
"does it matter what it's called? how do they
FEEL about it? What do THEY think it is?"
argument. So we're having a fun interdisciplinary
chat now. :)

Simon. Good example!

And some do call Video Games "Electronic Games."
In the SIG we are talking about video/electronic
games but we aren't limiting things to a screen
because, well, with audio games...we can't!

But it adds an interesting detour to think about
non-electronic games and how they have been
accessible or made to be accessible. It reminds
us that "games" go way past Pong! That's just my
little sidenote into challenging the "exergaming"
term. I mean all that means to me is a game that
one gets exercise benefits from. There's nothing
that says "electronic" or "video" about it.

So without noting "electronic" or "video" within
the term exergaming...why is there an implied
assumption that we're talking about anything
electronic at all? That term, to me, means a HUGE
spectrum of possibility.

Michelle