[games_access] developing system for hearing impaired

Karen Collins collinsk at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 31 17:11:29 EDT 2009

Hello Everyone
I've been developing a system especially for hearing-impaired gamers
called SoundSign. It involves an icon system that illustrates what sound
effects are occuring where/when, giving an icon and proximity and
directional information. I'm hoping that if people like it we can get it
into some mainstream games.

For now, we've developed a game you can download and play to see how the
technology works. The game is called Robot Island: collect gems and
avoid robots. The gems and robots use sound to indicate where they
are--for those without hearing abilities or who just want to turn the
sound off, the SoundSign icon system substitutes the information in a
visual form.

Get it here: www.gamessound.com/ss.htm

I'd love to have your feedback and feel free to share the link. If you
like it, tell your favourite game developer you want to see something
like this in their games!
Karen

--

Karen Collins, PhD