[games_access] Accessible Game Design Initiative, in planning phase now.

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:16:20 EST 2009

It appears more explanation is necessary.

The Accessible Game Design Initiative takes NOTHING away from the Game
Accessibility SIG because it does not focus on helping disabled
players. The work of the Game Accessibility SIG is still extremely
valuable!

I do think the ideas the initiative covers can be beneficial to the
disabled, because as I like to say, "games for all". The focus areas I
listed, such as "player tailoring" and a "hint system" can be helpful
to both able and disabled players.

To make absolutely clear, here's what I see coming from this SIG:
* Support community for disabled players
* Advocate and representative for disabled players
* Research projects to help disabled players access more games for the:
-- visually affected
-- physically affected
-- mentally affected
-- aurally affected
* Share information and assist developers wishing to implement
features for disabled players

I believe you can approach the goal of game accessibility from three directions:

1. Special game features
-- Closed Captioning, slow game speed, high contrast graphics rendering

2. Alternative controllers
-- Switch devices, Quad controllers, controller hacks, voice controls,
brain wave controls

3. Accessible Game Design
-- Players customizing gameplay settings
-- Dynamic Difficulty
-- Content Navigation system (think VCR allowing rewind, fast forward,
skip chapters)
-- Hint system

It is number three that I think this SIG and the Game Design SIG can
collaborate on, however I feel it is more relevant to game design than
this SIG.

-Reid