[games_access] Project Natal: Microsoft's Alternative Controller

Nathalie Caron nathalie at gamefwd.org
Tue Jun 2 06:17:43 EDT 2009

Hi Barrie, and group:

I watched the Microsoft presentation yesterday and while it has a lot of
potential to increase mainstream accessibility, I think there is some way to
go in order for it to be accessible to all.

I can already imagine one of my friends, who argued the same point. He has
CP and is in a wheel chair with minimal hand coordination, has managed to
adapt to use a controller, but does not speak (unless using a voice device).
I don't think Natal would be able to recognize his facial expressions as
well, nor would it be able to find expressions in his synthetic voice
(thinking in reference to that interactive game with the little boy - Tobi
was it?)

I think that if Microsoft was really serious about this, they would have to
look, perhaps into neurofeedback for those who do not have the means to use
their bodies, voices and facial expressions. Surely they have the ability to
implement something like this en masse.

I don't know if they would consider that, or if they are satisfied by having
already "broken new ground"... I guess we will have to watch and see.

Nathalie
http://gamefwd.org