[games_access] disability or limitation?

Steven Spohn steve at ablegamers.com
Tue Nov 3 05:48:05 EST 2009

Purely speaking as someone who is disabled, I really don't understand all
the fuss about what word someone would use to describe me. There is only one
word that I can't stand to describe my disposition and that starts with the
C.  as far as disabled, I think it's just calling it what it is.

I don't think short people want to be called vertically challenged, just as
I don't see a need to call me physically challenged. I'm just never going to
tell someone that I possess a limitation, again nothing against the idea,
but purely speaking as someone who is disabled. The key of that sentence is,
I am disabled.

On the same subject, about three years ago people started trying to use
"handi-capable" . that word was obviously started by people who are trying
too hard. Personally, I couldn't stand that phrase. To me it feels
patronizing for someone to say that I'm not handicapped I'm hand-capable.
Political correctness just goes too far sometimes, I would fully support any
word the list would like to use publicly, but as far as I'm concerned I'm
disabled and I'm going to continue to say "disabled."  And that's because to
me, disabled is not a negative, it simply a description such as Tall, Dark,
or Handsome.

Steve Spohn

Associate Editor

www.AbleGamers.com