[games_access] New Universal-Controller (Sony?)

Brian J. Papineau brian at gamefwd.org
Sun Feb 28 14:28:40 EST 2010

I was interested in this when I first saw someone at NeoGaf post the patent,
but it appears that it'll literally emulate classic controllers on a blank
touchscreen. If it's anything like the virtual d-pad control schemes on the
iPhone I've tried to deal with it, it will really tough for people like me
with even mild motion impairment to use because of the lack of tactile
feedback.

I'd love to see a modular approach, similar to the Access Controller that
used real buttons and sticks/d-pads that could be reconfigured. At the very
least, I think it would need a click screen like that BlackBerry that failed
a little while back. Here's a link to the patent and a Kotaku'd summary.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=20100041480.PGNR.&OS=dn/20100041480&RS=DN/20100041480

http://kotaku.com/5475448/sony-files-patent-for-universal-controller

Brian J. Papineau

Editor-in-Chief > Administrator