[games_access] Comercial Universally Accessible games

Eleanor Robinson eleanor at 7128.com
Wed Aug 31 10:52:03 EDT 2011

On 8/30/2011 9:41 PM, P Hogan wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> I'm a student at RMIT Uni Australia, and was intrigued by the work
> done at FORTH ICS in regards to creating games that can be tailored on
> they fly to suit different people with different needs. (
> http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games )
>
> My question was: has anyone made a commercial game using all or part
> of these principles?
>
> I feel it would be hard to encourage companies to use it if there was
> no commercially viable game to set a precedent...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat

Hi Pat

While we are a small company, we are a commercial game company.  We have
a control panel that allows the player to set a number of parameters to
meet his or her needs.  We have a speed control that allows the player
to slow a game down, a setting for voice control users that tells them
what to say to control our games; a game voice control that will allow
our blind-accessible games to be self voiced with SAPI; a screen reader
control that allows certain screen readers to be used with our games; a
video control that will allow a video to be played sound only;  a big
type control that increases the size of all type; a captions control
that will add captions to a video; a music control that will turn
background music off for easier hearing of the game voice; the idle twit
button that, if you have not done any action for 60 seconds will tell
you the options available to you at that point.   These controls can be
set at any point by selecting the controls button which is on the screen
and available in the tab order.

I believe these type of controls allow a player to increase the
accessibility for them "on the fly" as you were asking about in your Email.

Check us out at www.7128.com.

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 Software