[games_access] Contactlist GA, for pedagogues / teacher ...

Tim Holt tim.m.holt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:03:21 EST 2011

As someone in the business of developing educational content for
intellectual developmentally disabled students, I don't find myself looking
for games that could be used in education.  But I do find myself looking at
games and game accessibility from the design perspective, and specifically
what I can learn that can be transfered into the educational space.  I also
see accessible games as useful tools to teach the students how to use
accessibility tools, and as a way to let them be part of the overall social
activity that gaming can be.

Good games are usually intuitive to use and easy to understand.  Good
accessibility features are nicely blended with the game itself, and have
little to no negative impact on gameplay.  In fact good accessibility
features benefit gameplay.  Good accessibility is just good game design in
general.  And it's also good user interaction design, which is the real
takeaway for me.

I'd like to have a student using educational software to have the same kinds
of experience that a gamer has with a good game.  When gamers get a new
game, they dive right in because it's familiar, even though brand new.
 Though obviously controllers vary greatly, they know the joystick on the
controller moves you, the buttons make things happen, etc.  A good game
teaches them how to play the by scaffolding and building up the skills
required gradually.  A good game matches the challenges to their skill and
abilities, keeping them from being either bored or frustrated.  A good game
lets them slow down and work through difficult sections if need be.

So back to the point of the list.  A good (accessible) game can teach you a
lot about creating accessibility in general for technology.  A good game can
also be an excellent teaching tool for how to use accessibility controllers
-- a skill that students will need to learn before they can even begin using
software for their regular lessons.

Tim

PS
Our #!%$ email filter at work blocks this mail list for some reason, so I've
had to subscribe via my personal email and not work email.  Here's my
business/work info...

Tim Holt
Product Technology Architect
PCI Education