[games_access] GA Prejudices, question to our Game Designer and Game Developers

Charlie Jackson charlie at cataclysmicgames.com
Fri Jan 14 22:31:13 EST 2011

Not even in just an accessibility way, to me a game should be playable to
anyone. As a game developer, sure I want people to hit the challenges I've
set, to struggle a little maybe, to get some tension or nervousness, but I
also want them to come away from the game with as full an experience as
possible, avoiding that "I'm never going to beat this, this is insane,
forget it!" moment.

As a game PLAYER, I can't stand something more than hitting a brick wall in
a game. I've seen way too many people get halfway through too many games
(myself included), then give up and have horrible thoughts about it forever.
"Is that a good game?" "Well, it's pretty cool but I never finished it. I
couldn't beat level four, and for a while I couldn't wait to see what would
happen next, but I got so stuck that I just read a walkthrough on it so I
could see how the rest of the game ends."

Everyone should be able to beat everything :)

I had always planned on hiding some kind of special item in each game I made
that'd make it winnable for anybody. For example, in an RPG I'd throw in
some special sword if you walked into an exact spot and did something
special... In a platformer, maybe something that makes you invincible
forever, or that creates a block under your feet when you press a button, or
lets you skip a level... etc. Granted, I've only made word games thus far,
so I haven't had the chance to test this :)

-------------

Charlie Jackson

Want to have your name in a game? Submit your own phrases, stories, ideas,
etc. and become immortalized as a contributor in the game!
http://www.thecritterverse.com/contribute/index.php

Creator of the Critterverse, a kid-friendly fun place for all
http://www.thecritterverse.com

Keep up to date with everything going on, "Like" The Critterverse on
Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Critterverse/151620901536271

Or just get the major updates, subscribe to the newsletter here:
http://www.cataclysmicgames.com/