[games_access] Scuf controller

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 20:53:13 EDT 2012

I'm sure some of the people on the list have seen this before but it's a new one on me, I was just shown it by a disabled professional gamer who uses it as he doesn't have enough muscle strength to press down on the sticks on an Xbox controller, which you need to do to be able to run on the unremappable COD games.
It has two large buttons on the underside which can be remapped to any of the other digital controls. It's by no means the only controller to have a couple of remappable buttons (eg. Razer Onza), but they are large and well positioned, meaning that unlike the face buttons you don't have to move your fingers from the sticks to reach them, and the underside positioning gives him greater leverage too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRJiEQCIuw
http://www.scufgaming.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=4

Of course like all assistive tech it's only useful for certain types of impairment.
It wasn't designed as assistive tech, it was designed as a pro gaming controller.. interesting to yet again see the overlap between the things that are useful for pro/hardcore gamers and gamers with motor impairments.
Ian