[games_access] Accessible preschool counting games

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 29 11:22:33 EST 2012

On a lighter note CBeebies (BBC) have just put up this selection of highly accessible counting mini-games for preschoolers, including not just preschooler appropriate accessibility features such as colour blind friendless, skip buttons, lack of timers, low cognitive load, encouraging contextual voice prompts and no possibility of failing, but also things like subtitles for hearing impaired parents who might be playing along. Some really nice thought has gone into it.
The interface needs assistance to navigate through but after that the games themselves work nicely with single switch mapped to spacebar, and also have an option for adult & child to play together with child on switch and adult on mouse.. a very nice free educational resource as well as the accessible gaming side of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/numtums/games/numtums-games/
For best result with switches choose a number rather than a game.. that will then run through a continuous wario-ware style selection of mini-games associated with that number without needing to navigate any menus.