[games_access] Information please: Game Designers with Disabilities.

Eleanor eleanor at 7128.com
Thu May 8 16:11:00 EDT 2014

Ray,

There are many game designers with disabilities.  There are a number of
sources to get the information.  If you go to our website, www.7128.com,
you will find our top 25 listing of websites for gamers who are blind,
deaf, or motion impaired.  In the list for the blind, the Audyssey
listserve is managed by Thomas Ward who is blind and a game developer.
The discussion is interesting and you will soon identify several other
game developers who are blind among the participants.

I'm sure the Accessibility SIG has other information about developers
who have disabilities.  If you talk to Barrie Ellis at oneswitch.org, he
can identify game developers who have motor impairments.  Mark Barlet at
AbleGamers can also identify developers who have a disability.  All of
these website URL's are directly available on our Top 25 list.

There is nothing to prevent a disabled person from developing games.
And, since many of the game developers do not give accessibility a high
priority, if a disabled person wants a game they can play, they may have
to develop it themselves.

The technology used depends on the type of game they are developing,
just like any other game designer.  For a blind developer, there is a
development tool called the Blastbay Game Toolkit (BGT) that allows a
beginning game developer to put together an audio game.  On Audyssey,
there has been an intense discussion about the various development
languages and what is better for different types of games.  There are
people programming in iOS, C++, JAVA, and some of the older programming
languages.

All in all, check out the websites and you should have adequate
information to support the program.  I wish you luck in working your way
through the hoops you have to jump through.  If I can be of further
help, please contact me again.  I'm interested in hearing how you make out.

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 Software