[games_access] How to recruit participants for a study

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 23:01:00 EDT 2016

You're looking for people to take part in person, right?
Normally I just get my participants through market research companies, there are a couple of good ones over here in the UK that I've never had any trouble people from even really specific recruitment profiles through.
But that's always with a client all paying the costs, I'm assuming that as it's a grad student project you don't have the luxury of a budget for that kind of thing?
So paid recruitment aside... the big national organisations aren't much help, they're very protective over the people they represent, but local disability organisations / groups / meetups can be really good.

A few examples - http://www.canadian-universities.net/Volunteer/Disabled-Ontario-Ottawa.html
Also be prepared to go to people's homes, you'll get far better results there than you will in a lab, and save yourself all kinds of hassle of trying to replicate assistive tech setups. And allow a good extra 50% on top of the time you would normally set aside for similar sessions with other audiences.
Hope that helps!
Ian